[cad-linux] GraphiteOne Q&A

  • From: Thomas Schmidt <thomas.schmidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:44:02 +0100

Hi All,

There have been some questions about GraphiteOne. Let me try to answer them:

TomCAD:
Strictly speaking, TomCAD was the predecessor of GraphiteOne. From a techology
point of view, they have nearly nothing in common. GraphiteOne provides much
more functions and is based on a different technology.
Regarding the licence: TomCAD was GPL. And will always be. GraphiteOne has a
different licencing. See below.

Licence:
GraphiteOne is dual-licenced. It is free for private, educational or research
use. It is not free for any commercial, revenue generating purposes.
You may look here for details:
http://www.graphiteone-cad.com/en/
contentframe.php?body=about_licencing&menu=about
Yes, it's not GPL. Hope that's not too bad.

Pricing:
There is of course a standard price for a single-user/single-seat licence.
Apart from that, GraphiteOne is priced on a per customer basis. This might
include training, support, customer specific changes/features...
Please write to info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you are interested in details.

Who is going to use this?
Answer is open source like: Anyone who think it is usefull enough :-)
GraphiteOne was not build to make me incredibly rich. It was build because I
liked to. Thats why it is free for private use. The existance and the future
of GraphiteOne does not at all depend on commercial customers. This being
said, I have to admit that there are indeed commercial customers with some
interest in GraphiteOne. Please understand that I cannot state any names. The
most interesting usage of GraphiteOne would be some kind of inhouse usage,
where GraphiteOne is part of some specialized solution. Thats where
GraphiteOne fits best because of its open and extensible nature.

Fast AG
The Fast AG has quite some tradition in IT consulting/training. Providing
products is comparativly new. Nethertheless, one need a company to do
business. I'm working for Fast AG as a IT consultant for some years now, so
it was the obvious choice to work together on commercial GraphiteOne
offerings.

Bye,
Thomas