[cad-linux] Getting xspace, and Bruno's draft to run ; executable data

  • From: Janek Kozicki <janek_listy@xxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 00:01:06 +0200

Massimiliano Mirra said:     (by the date of Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:45:25 +0200)

> (I'm back.)

welcome :)

I planned this weekend to write down some of the specification that
I am constantly thinking about. Yet I didn't managed to do that :(

Because before I do that I want to run xspace, and Bruno's program, and
examine both of them. I tried again, but I didn't succeed..

=== xspace:
When I try to run xspace I get an error:

janek@absurd:~/devel/Cad/xspace/xspace$ source bin/setup
janek@absurd:~/devel/Cad/xspace/xspace$ display space
dump: --- dump_subtree ---
/home/janek/devel/Cad/xspace/xspace/lib/viewport-gtk.rb:21:in `require': No
such file to load -- gnome (LoadError)
        from /home/janek/devel/Cad/xspace/xspace/lib/viewport-gtk.rb:21
        from /home/janek/devel/Cad/xspace/xspace/bin/viewport:85:in `require'
        from /home/janek/devel/Cad/xspace/xspace/bin/viewport:85
dump: I've been requested to dump space
[...]

I tried installing all ruby/gtk/gnome/devel related packages, but it
still doesn't work :( My machine is debian/woody

=== draft:
To be consitent, I'll also describe my problems related to running draft:
   perl Makefile.PL  -> OK
   make              -> OK
   make test         -> problem

janek@absurd:~/devel/Cad/draft/Draft-0.01$ make test
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl -Iblib/arch -Iblib/lib -I/usr/lib/perl/5.6.1
-I/usr/share/perl/5.6.1 -e 'use Test::Harness qw(&runtests $verbose);
$verbose=0; runtests @ARGV;' t/*.t
t/000..read-file....ok
t/001..read-reference.Can't locate SGI/FAM.pm in @INC (@INC contains: . lib
blib/arch blib/lib /usr/lib/perl/5.6.1 /usr/share/perl/5.6.1
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.6.1 /usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5 /usr/local/lib/site_perl) at lib/Draft/Drawing.pm line 7.

I see that the problem is FAM related, but I don't know how to correct
this. I have debian fam package installed (to be exact: fam 2.6.6.1-5.2)
and I don't know what more about FAM should I do...

===
At last I had to give up, because I have some other work to do ;) If I
don't manage to run xpace and Bruno's draft program, ewentually I'll sit
down and start this data specification without it....

but when anything new sparks to my mind I quickly write it down, so it
doesn't get forgotten. I want to start this specification as soon as
possible, so that we can work on in together - to make it the best
possible

> > Execute that data in a fakeroot environment?
>
> Yes, execute the data in some fake environment could be an addition to
> the usual security infrastructure.  Whatever the means are to support
> security, I think they should not have to do with the enforcement of a
> particular programming language.  Giving a chance to everyone to
> extend the system in their smoothest and easiest way is something I'd
> rather not give up.

I think that it is a good idea *not to allow binary files inside data
tree*, so if the data is meant to be executable, It should be all text
files (that diff/cvs/rsc/grep works on them) so if anyone wants to make
a C++ program... then - binary files generated by compiling the program
should be either deleted or moved to another "temporary" directory...

--
# Janek Kozicki