[cad-linux] Re: CAD program for Linux needed

  • From: "Lars Grobe" <grobe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:59:36 +0200

Hi Yorik,

ok, first to all those who are happy Linux users... I am sitting in an
internet-cafe right now. I had written a reply when this ...-crosoft stuff all
crashed, so now I start again.

I think that first, we should not confuse the applications. The original
question for this thread is about a mechanical design, not architectural. So I
think the 3d-CAD approach may work rather well, even if finally there might be
some drawings that must be generated somehow from the model.

Second, I think you are perfectly right about that in architecture, we are
still depending on 2d-plans, which we print in huge amounts on cheap
black-and-white paper. There is still no laptop developed that is robust and
intuitive enough to be used by someone while working on a construction site and
cheap enough to be dumped at the evening after some tons of stone and sand fell
on it. So paper is not so bad.

Still, I do not think that the Autocad-way (doing serious work in 2d and having
some fun in 3d, mostly with external programs) is the way to go in all cases.
There are people who are very happy with it, especially those who used to draft
manually before and did not want to change their way of work. I am currently
working in such an office, we use CAD as a drawing board. But it means that you
do not use what the computer can do best - keeping data in memory and doing
calculations. And there are lots of applications out that prove that doing the
design work on a model and generating 2d-representations (sections, plans,
elevations) as well as other lists from it is possible.

As you mention the importance of having nice-looking 2d plans finally, which
should not be misunderstood as only about looking nice, but also being easily
understood, I think that most of this 2d-work can be done better by some of the
existing 2d-apps (inkscape, scribus, ...). It is not necessary to reinvent the
wheel here, some minor modifications would be enough. I think that, if we have
a good CA(A)D application, which is able to output nice 2d-content, not only
consisting of lines, but also of some data fields, it would be easy to attach
to these in the 2d app. So, updating the work you did in 2d with a fresh
generated section from the model might be comfortable, if the 2d-content has
unique id's, and only the changed elements get updated. Referencing fields such
as materials, dimensions etc from the layout is also not impossible than. Look
at what some of the Adobe apps can already do with fields and svg.

We need a clean 3d-CAD with standards-compliant interfaces, and than we can
extend it to whatever we need, be it architecture, mechanic or anything else...

A, I do not know about any open-source-project for cad backed by architects at
the moment. I know about some commercial (Speedikon) and free, not os (octree)
for Linux. I think it is one of the big problems in architect's education these
days. EVERY engineer learns how to use a computer by programming it to solve
problems. Only architects believe that programming only means to develop a
software and sell it, which is not their business. So they use the computer as
some developer thinks they can use it. That is also the reason I cannot start
this kind of project right now... I am not able to code it.

CU Lars.