[cad-linux] Re: CAD program for Linux needed

  • From: Christopher Sean Morrison <morrison@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrei Smirnov <andrei.v.smirnov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:40:20 -0400

Andrei,

Depending on your expectations and experience if you haven't already
looked into it, BRL-CAD might be of interest.  BRL-CAD is OSI open source
software with an extensive solid modeling, ray-tracing, and graphics
heritage available for just about any platform.

While it's not designed as a replacement for AutoCAD and the MGED modeler
in BRL-CAD doesn't have the most forgiving graphical user interface,
feature-wise it is packed more than any other free solid modeling project
by a long shot (and contributions are more than welcome to add the
features missing).

BRL-CAD's historic focus has been mostly on CAD for CAE purposes and that
shows via emphasis on various aspects of the features provided (e.g.
ray-tracing).  If you're wanting engineering blueprint-style diagrams with
annotations then you might be better off with something else for now, but
if you're interested in generating a CAD design that can be constructed,
analysed, and rendered then BRL-CAD might be of interest.

You can read more details about BRL-CAD here (see WHOLE DESCRIPTION)
http://brlcad.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/brlcad/brlcad/doc/description.txt

There is also fairly extensive documentation on the main website including
a length set of tutorials on the MGED modeler.  Myself and others in the
community are usually available via various means to help you get started
as well.

BRL-CAD Open Source
http://brlcad.org

Cheers!