[cad-linux] Re: Architecture

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 15:57:04 -0500

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> Jeffrey McGrew
> on Monday 19 May 2003 01:39 pm:

>I too am an Architect looking for something to run on Linux; however
>there isn't much yet. There are AutoCAD-ish systems; like Cycas
>(http://www.cycas.de/). There are also 3D parametric systems
>like Octree CAD (http://www.octree.de/). Both are limited in
>comparison to a commercial system at this time, but are worth
>a try. I've been unsuccessful so far running AutoDesk Revit
>(AutoDesk's somewhat-successor to Architectural Desktop, Revit's
>more like 'Inventor for Architects') on Wine; and I know that
>people are able to run some lesser versions of AutoCAD on Wine,
>but I haven't heard of anyone running ADT on Wine.

I have had some luck with MDT (3? the R14 add-on version) under wine, but
haven't used it enough to know all of the gotchas.  It is really similar to
the process of getting ACAD2000 running.  See the instructions on my site:
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mycroft/linux/

I imagine that the ADT system is technically similar to MDT in many ways.

--Eric