[cad-linux] Re: Architecture

  • From: Lars Grobe <grobe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 01:06:01 +0200 (MEST)

> It has been many years since i did anything close to architectural
> work(structural steel), could you specify features that you need?
> there are a number of architectural packages, but i've never used
> Autodesk's Architectural Desktop.

Hi,

this is just another student of architecture with some linux
ambitions calling...

What we need:

- Building oriented tools (drawing walls, placing windows, doors,
stairs)
- Layer management (most 3d-modelers could be used to do
architectural work, but as they work on a per-object-base,
not with layers, are not suitable with large projects
- 2d-3d-integration: I must be able to generate 2d-drawings
(with dimensions, text, hatches) from my models
- data formats: dxf is a must (while I don't like it too much),
(e)ps,...

The problem with the software I know is that there is 3d-software
that I can't use with large projects (modelers, not cad), that can't
produce 2d-drawings from models, or pure 2d on the other hand -
nobody out there in architecture works in pure 2d any more!

To make it clear, I work with Archicad and formZ on the Mac, and
I would really like to have such applications on Linux, maybe with
some more advanced functionality in the data format and exchange
field (xml etc).

CU Lars.

One hint: Houdini.