[cad-linux] Re: 3D CAD with free surface modelling

  • From: keith frost <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 05:55:46 -0700 (PDT)

from what i've read and been told Catia V5 has been
ported to linux.  BUT THEY ARE SITTING ON IT!
http://linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5490 8th
paragraph down.  this agree's with what an ibm rep at
work said.  so far they are marketing AIX and NT only.
although people are asking for it, as long as they are
not losing sales they will not certify or offer linux.

I'd come across a PTC publication showing Pro/E
running on RH a while back, but i have not heard
anymore about it.
http://www.ptc.com/germany/company/newsletter/inews/inhalt_03_00/53.pdf
judging from the 03_00 this is two years old.  unlike
bently it has not been pulled from the web page.  call
them and ask.

let us know what you find.

as far as wine goes i've run both
truespace5(cadopia/calgery) and Rhino3D.  although i
like cadopia i prefer Rhino3d to truespace5.  you
might consider it.  there is a free download to play
with.

the setup to run rhino3D is similar to my
intellicad-how-to with the addition of Desktop=Y needs
to be set.

hope that helps

--- Peer Frank <peer.frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, it is.
>
> But do I get this right ? No way to do the
> design/construction under
> Linux ? Or can Catia be run on Linux ? Does anybody
> know about some
> good 3D CAD (that is able of free surface
> modelling), something like
> Solidworks, ProE or Solidedge ? Or does somebody
> have experience with
> running this stuff with a win emulator ?
>
> Bye
> Peer

=====
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS
//www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux

http://taxes.yahoo.com/