[cad-linux] Re: 3D CAD with free surface modelling

  • From: Maurizio Ferrari <mferrari@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 19:18:03 +0200

keith frost wrote:

> > Yes, it is.
> >
> > But do I get this right ? No way to do the
> > design/construction under
> > Linux ? Or can Catia be run on Linux ? Does anybody
> > know about some
> > good 3D CAD (that is able of free surface
> > modelling), something like
> > Solidworks, ProE or Solidedge ? Or does somebody
> > have experience with
> > running this stuff with a win emulator ?
> >
> > Bye
> > Peer

It depends on what you need to do. If you are geared more towards free
surface modelling and do not need e.g. 2D mechanical drawings,
Realsoft3D is available natively for Linux, is cheaper than its Windows
version, and is what I used for the drawing I pointed you all to
(rendering only). If you are good with it (I am not - yet??) great
things can be made: for example, take a look at

http://www.magnamana.com/delta/
http://www.magnamana.com/delta/gallery/gallery.html
http://www.magnamana.com/delta/chrono/ch-samples.html

Regards

Maurizio
--
Galileo Engineering
Via Zacchetti 6

Slot.it is a trademark of Galileo Engineering