[cad-linux-dev] bumpy polylines

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:56:11 -0500

The dxf allows you to describe a filleted or rounded lwpolyline by
using a bulge factor.

There's a good explanation here:
  http://www.afralisp.com/lisp/Bulges1.htm

The question is: how should this fit into rhizopod's 'polyline' entity
(or should it.)

We have some other issues when it comes to the dxf polyline entities.
These are able to be 3D, but also get used to describe meshes, and
have lots of other non-2D issues.

Currently, we have a polyline looking like so:

--- #YAML:1.0
closed: 0
color: style
filepath: 0.yml
layer: 1
object_style: 1
points:
  -
    - 27.58526172659662
    - 618.1513664263527
  -
    - 27.58526172659617
    - 631.4297108661556
  -
    - 37.62674039691684
    - 631.9407830449527
  -
    - 115.5852617265965
    - 645.2888148955135
  -
    - 115.5852617265965
    - 618.1513664263527
type: polyline

In this particular polyline, I have a bulge between vertices 1&2 and
between 2&3.  Should the bulge be part of the 'points' array, or
should there be a second array for bulges:

bulges:
  - 0
  - -0.58
  - 0.09

Alternatively, should the rounded polyline be it's own entity?

In either case, I'm also not thrilled about including this bulge
verbatim.  The more straightforward scheme would be to describe the
arc as part of the polyline.  This opens the possibility of
describing splines as part of a polyline (though that wouldn't be
dxf-compatible.)

--Eric
--
We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals.
                                        -- Quarry worker's creed