[cad-linux-dev] Re: Decentralisation and version attributes

  • From: Bruno Postle <bruno@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD linux development <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:35:26 +0100

On Tue 24-Aug-2004 at 11:59 -0500, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> >1. Decentralisation, data can be manipulated at a low level without
> >   tools needing to touch the entire dataset or locking it.  The
> >   guiding design principle should be that, if information can be
> >   delegated to the lowest level, then that's what should happen.

[snip]

> At the extreme of this principle is chaos.  Does every entity have
> a coordinate-system (cartesion, polar), base (binary, hex,
> decimal), space (R3, R4, mobius) etc.?

This is defined by the entity type and version, initial entity specs
can leave out units altogether for all I care, since I could
personally use implicit millimetres for everything (as 'Draft' does
at the moment).

..but a version label is different; without them, entities can only
persist through time via forced conversions at a pace defined by
software developers not users - The sort of nasty game certain CAD
vendors play.

I can deal with this situation with 'Draft' by having a custom
connector to your hub that copies everything exactly but propagates
the 'version' between the drawing attributes and the element
attributes - But I'd rather interact with the data directly at the
filesystem level.

[Hope this is interesting and doesn't sound like I'm labouring the
issue - Not enough time and too many distractions to give this the
attention it deserves.]

--
Bruno