[cad-linux-dev] Re: Decentralisation

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAD linux development <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:59:03 -0500

# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Bruno Postle
# on Tuesday 24 August 2004 10:20 am:

>1. Decentralisation, data can be manipulated at a low level without
>=A0 =A0tools needing to touch the entire dataset or locking it. =A0The
>=A0 =A0guiding design principle should be that, if information can be
>=A0 =A0delegated to the lowest level, then that's what should happen.
>
>=A0 =A0This is why I think that each element should have it's own units,
>=A0 =A0version, copyright etc.. fields - Even if certain applications
>=A0 =A0will always set this data identically for every element - Even if
>=A0 =A0ultimately these fields just reference other locations.

At the extreme of this principle is chaos.  Does every entity have a=20
coordinate-system (cartesion, polar), base (binary, hex, decimal), space (R=
3,=20
R4, mobius) etc.?

What establishes a limit?  What makes the *directory* a "format" (what make=
s=20
the hub a database?)

I think it has to have a spec.  The spec defines what entities have or don'=
t.=20
That spec has versions, etc.

This implies that the *directory* has some global properties and informatio=
n. =20
Yes, these are rather insignificant if you just want the shape of a polygon=
,=20
but coherence at a higher-level is important.

So, to limit (understand) the chaos of the universe, we look at it through =
the=20
admittedly wrong lens that is Newtonian Physics.  It might not be perfect,=
=20
but it's a lot easier to learn and apply than quantum dynamics and string=20
theory.

  "F=3Dma" vs ?

Geometry is an abstraction which simplifies reality.

Given that computers are binary and code is generated by our limited ten=20
fingers, we should build some simplifying assumptions into the rhizopod spe=
c=20
which make the high-level properties accessible and allow assumptions to be=
=20
made about the low-level properties based on those high-level properties.

The rhizopod hub will not be perfect, but it will work for simple things.  =
If=20
it is going to be accessed as files, where the spec is the API, don't you=20
think that per-entity versions and etc. will be enough complications to dri=
ve=20
away aspiring coders?

It's possible that the dolphin hub defines each attribute of each entity as=
 a=20
file.  At that point, you almost to use a library to access the data=20
efficiently.  The rhizopod hub should not be that complicated.

I'm actually beginning to think that rhizopod may not even be complicated=20
enough to fully support dwg/dxf.  But, even if those eventually move to=20
sardine (?), I still think that rhizopod is the right place to start.

=2D-Eric
=2D-=20
"But as to modern architecture, let us drop it and let us take=20
modernistic out and shoot it at sunrise."
                                        --F.L. Wright