[cad-linux-dev] Re: CAD data - YAML text file format

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 16:53:31 -0500

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> Bruno Postle
> on Sunday 05 October 2003 04:19 pm:

>> I like this idea.  How would it support variables?  I don't see anything
>> in the YAML docs about references (e.g., $ref = \$var)
>
>It doesn't do anything interesting, you get something like this:
>
>    0: [ 170, 170, SCALAR(0x80651c8) ]

I guess you're saying that YAML doesn't do anything interesting in this case?

This would need to change to make it useable for parametricly defined objects.
Is it something that could be created as an extension to YAML, or should we
simply start from it as a basis/theme?

I think that variables need to be descriptive in two directions to be useful
in a universal format.  The items which are dependent on a variable should be
nearly as easy to locate as the variables on which an item is dependent.

--Eric