[cad-linux-dev] Re: CAD data - YAML text file format

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 15:14:03 -0500

> The following was supposedly scribed by
> Bruno Postle
> on Sunday 05 October 2003 02:43 pm:

>YAML is a data serialisation language, not a markup language like
>XML, so it is probably better in principle for CAD data and surely
>expressive enough.

I like this idea.  How would it support variables?  I don't see anything in
the YAML docs about references (e.g., $ref = \$var)

    0: [ 170, $y, 0 ]
    1: [ $x{right}, $y, 0 ]

While serialization as a file format is not a good idea (if it ties the format
to the data structure, it is bad,)  I could see enough room for expansion
without creating an overly complicated markup heirarchy (I can't really see
accomplishing anything with a one-liner on an XML file.)

--Eric
--
"Chess is a foolish expedient for making idle people believe
they are doing something very clever when they are only wasting