[cad-linux-dev] Re: BRL-CAD is released as Open Source

  • From: Christopher Sean Morrison <morrison@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:41:16 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, cr88192 wrote:

> very cool.
>
> misc: anyone have luck with or know where I can find working windows
> binaries?...

There is a group working on implementing a substantial portion of an
MSVC-based build for BRL-CAD right now.  It is one of many tasks this
group is working on and I wouldn't expect any anytime "relatively soon"
(i.e. within a couple weeks).  That said, I have played with beta builds
on Windows that have been available for a couple years since before going
open source.  That version, though, was riddled with a variety of bugs
that have long since been fixed -- making it releaseable.  The "proper"
build will get made one way or the other, and when it does an announcement
will be made regarding the availability of it.

> I got it to build eventually, but then I get a "this isn't a Tk application"
> type message, which I don't understand and don't know how to work around...
> this is along with another ominous message 'unknown color
> name"SystemButtonFace"'.

If you got that far into the build, I'd be interested in seeing your
patches that got you there (perhaps you'd be willing to post them to the
BRL-CAD patches tracker on sf.net?).  I did much of the initial work that
gets at least msys through most of the libraries and have a fairly good
idea of how much work remains (not much).

My first guess on the Tk errors without seeing the actual commands you've
been running and changes you've made would be that Tcl/Tk and company are
not getting build with the proper win* defines that their build system
would have used.  Either that, or there's a configure.ac fix needed to
ensure that Tk is getting linked like it should.

Glad to hear about your progress regardless..

Cheers!
Sean