[bvipilots] Re: Has anyone Ever Seen This?

  • From: Robert Cezar <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bvipilots@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:28:44 -0700

Hello Jody,

This has been a contentious issue since FSX was first created. Let me
explain (in detail) the sequence, and the pitfalls.

There are numerous sets of doors on a number of airplanes. Let's use the
Boeing 737-800 (aka 738) as an example. The keystrokes:

SHIFT + E + 1 controls the front passenger door
SHIFT + E + 2 controls the cargo doors

on other aircraft:

SHIFT + E +3 controls the food delivery door

on yet other aircraft:

SHIFT + E + 4 perhaps controls the engine cover, etc.

DOOR OPERATION:
The doors are like light switches - they are either ON or OFF. Thus, if you
press SHIFT + E + 1, the passenger door opens.  If you once again press
SHIFT + E + 1, the passenger door closes.

YOUR PROBLEM:
The doors get out of synchronization. Meaning, issuing the command to close
the doors, closes a door that is open, and contemporaneously opens a door
that is already closed. The result is that it will never be satisfied.

RESOLUTION otherwise known as a CHEAT:
Press the following keys in succession:

SHIFT + E + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 (without delay)

This will either open ALL doors, or close ALL doors. If it satisfies the
checklist query to confirm that all doors are closed, the the checklist
procedures will advance. If after pressing:

SHIFT + E + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5

Michelle is still asking for the doors to be closed, repeat the process.

CAUSE:
How are the doors getting out of sync?  If you issue the command to
Michelle to closes the doors, and she is in the process of issuing commands
like:

SHIFT + E + 1
SHIFT + E + 2
SHIFT + E + 3
SHIFT + E + 4
SHIFT + E + 5

which takes time, (about 8-10 seconds to complete) and you touch a key on
the keyboard, click the mouse on a button, press ALT+TAB to change windows,
etc., the process will FAIL, resulting in perhaps one door open, and the
other door closed.

RECENT CHANGES TO THE SOFTWARE:
In order to address this issue of window focus, I recently added software
that drives the simulator to the foreground and gives the simulator the
focus for these important keystrokes. However, if:

1. The simulator is minimized
2. You ATL + TAB away from the simulator
3. You touch a key, such that SHIFT + E +2 becomes SHIFT + E + M +1

it will fail.

WHEN DO THE DOORS OPEN?
When you issue either of the commands:

"Restart cold and dark"

or

"Do all checklists"

Michelle opens all of the doors in preparation for boarding. During this
process, please sit on your hands until you hear Michelle begin speaking!
<SMILES>

From then on, it should work fine. Meaning, as part of the before start up
checklists when Michelle asks for all doors to be closed, they will ALL
close, since they are all open. However, you need to, once again, sit on
your hands during this process until you hear Michelle begin speaking again.

SUMMARY:
This is a serious constraint on the part of the Microsoft's FSX design, and
has been a nagging issue for many users, over many years. However, I have
tested the IYP door control system hundreds of times during my software
testing, and by following the steps I have set forth above, it ALWAYS
WORKS.

I hope this helps explain what is not a mystery, but rather a Microsoft
constraint.

Regards,

Robert