[burpg] Avionics Team Info Reminder

  • From: Dean De Carli <ddecarli@xxxxxx>
  • To: burpg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 02:45:53 -0400

TO UNSUBSCRIBE FOLLOW THIS LINK: freelists.org/list/burpg

DO NOT REPLY ALL

Hey everyone,

Here is info about how to get involved with the BURPG Avionics team, I am
sending again for our new members and for those that forgot to sign up.
Also, if you have friends that signed up for the team but aren't getting
emails, make sure they accepted the freelists invitation! Send me an email
at ddecarli@xxxxxx if you need help subscribing.

For everyone interested in being on the avionics team, we are going to have
a few introduction-to-electronics projects that incorporate avionics concepts.
There is a write-up of all the projects on this Google doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pHX2Z2bgMUqcF3nYI5Iibw_mBopoOTVJ3wk1r4nLG_k/edit#heading=h.rajj2zsy1yg0>.Look
through the projects, and send an email to me (personally, *do not reply to
the freelists*) if you have any questions. Then, please sign up for the
avionics team with this form <http://goo.gl/forms/BZoBRqSfiA>.

If you wish to sign up for both a PCB design and software project, you may
*only *if you have prior experience in one or the other, i.e. do not sign
up for a PCB design project and an RTOS design project if you have zero
experience in electronics and do not know what the C programming language
is. We would like everyone to be able to focus and learn from these
projects, not spread themselves to thin. That being said, these are intro
projects and do not require prior hardware experience, nor do the software
projects require guru-level skills in concurrent programming. Just bring
your aptitude!

Even if you are already working on an avionics project, or just want to be
informed on the avionics team updates, still *sign up on the form*. In a
week or two, I am going to start an avionics mailing list so our precious
freelists isn't polluted with these verbose announcements.

*Altium*:
Please email me or Anton (antonpaquin@xxxxxxxxx) for instructions on how to
get it. After you install it, start with the Altium Tutorial
<http://techdocs.altium.com/display/ADOH/Tutorial+-+Getting+Started+with+PCB+Design>
and
bring your questions to our meeting next week.

Matt and I are going to start our hardware/software design seminars next
week. The meeting will be at 9 pm Wednesday night in the lab, and we will
move ourselves to a new classroom if necessary. In preparation for these
lectures, please read the comprehensive BURPG 2014-2015 Systems Overview
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1aZVkt0G5Bld19XNHJXYk1pd0E> document.
It is a detailed write-up of all of the PCBs and software we used last
year. If you would like to read up on the processors that we use on the
rockets, here is the datasheet
<http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/DM00037051.pdf>
and reference manual
<http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/reference_manual/DM00031020.pdf>
for
the chip. (NB: I am posting these just for curiosity's sake...nobody is
expected to have a deep understanding of these microprocessors).

See you Wednesday at 9 pm!
Ad astra,
Dean

--
Dean A. De Carli
Boston University

BU SEDS President
Rocket Propulsion Group Chief Electronics Systems Engineer