[bubs] Re: Robie Pierce Rules for Blind Sailors

  • From: Duane Farrar <duano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bubs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Katherine Kern <katherinekern1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 16:17:42 -0400

Thanks, Katherine. I was planning to follow up with Buttons and Bill today.

This configuration will be identical to those times when I have sailed with Maureen McKinnon, who is a paraplegic sailor some of you may not yet know. Maureen typically sat on the port side and I could switch back and forth. Sol Marini, our AB, remained on the starboard side at all times although he was not in a seat. When we were both on the starboard side one of us could sit up on the rail, but not both at the same time, and obviously I was the only one who could sit on the rail on the port side. However, this also meant the plywood frame used in all disabled boats to mount the seats was also present. But, it wasn't that big a deal to sit on the plywood when not on the rail and it could be used as a hiking mechanism to secure a foot when sitting on the rail. The added weight also put us on a more even par with the other boats fully crewed by disabled sailors.

When I've more recently sailed this regatta with a blind crew, such as Amy Bower or Mark Bos, we followed the same protocol minus the seat or plywood, with the blind crew remaining fixed on the port side and the sighted AB on the starboard. Even when the rules were confusing, at all times I have endeavored to follow the spirit of the regatta.

Duane

On 5/20/2019 1:37 PM, Katherine Kern wrote:

I clarified with buttons on Friday. The skipper can switch sides. But you know that the crew cannot. They are going to be in the adapted seats like the disabled. I would practice with using your foot as leverage. Because I feel that as crew you might not have as much since you will be sitting a little higher up.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 20, 2019, at 1:12 PM, Jason Wallenstein <jwallens@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jwallens@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hey Grace,

Is it possible to practice with an offset Marc this week. I think of the good practice for everyone. As I’m pretty sure they will have an offset Marc at the Robbie. Also I don’t know if you heard from Duane but I got an email from the Robbie asking what side they want the blind skippers to sit on as we are now required to be in fixed spots. I wasn’t aware of this and in unsure how this will work for us.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jason-wallenstein-31964216/

On May 20, 2019, at 11:56 AM, Grace <graceface3629@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:graceface3629@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

*Pre-season/Robie Pierce practice continues this Wednesday, May 22, at 5:30 PM at Community Boating. We will be practicing in Ideal 18s. *

Last week we had two Ideals and two sonars full of sailors, plus Renee in the committee boat and an excellent crew of dog handlers on shore - thanks Iris, Cammie, and Joey!  We practiced stopping at a mark, several practice starts, and a race. We also discussed all the things you can do to kill the time between the 5 minute warning and the starting gun, such as checking which side of the line is favored and where the puffs are coming down the course.

This week we will start off practice with a couple of drills again, then go on to practice starts and races.

*Please reply to this email if you plan to attend on Wednesday so we can reserve the right number of boats! See you there!*

Your devoted coaches,
Grace and Leo

--
Duane Farrar