[bsgroups] Re: You ca call me Ray, you can call me Jay

  • From: "Shayne Ford" <barbiesmommy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 23:45:18 -0500

Jerry--you are a great teacher.  And I do understand.  I'm having my
usual problem  of determining where to actually save my php files so
that they are in the local root folder.  Whenever I type in local
host
and then browse it automatically resets me to C:\yahdiyahdi, etc.
don't think using install to programs folder is my best option.  I'm
going back to read manual install and see if I gain some
enlightenment.
Please feel free to give me more pearls of wisdom.  There was
nothing
confusing about that.

How many dogs?

Shayne

216.52.184.240 actually goes to a hosting server at namecheap.com
All of this magic is done on the Internet with DNS (dynamic name
service).

Your webserver would need a DNS entry for outsiders to reach it by
name.
If
it had a static IP folks could reach it without a DNS entry if that
IP
was
entered. What happens however is that multiple websites are hosted
on a
single webserver so you need a name for that server to parse the
traffic

even if you can reach it by IP address only.

Now to "localhost."  Your computer actually has 4 identities. Mine
has a

computer name, "Schuster." My computers are named after our
Weimaraners....Simon, Schuster, and Moose(the laptop). You probably
know

you computers name, if not it is available on the properties page
for My

Computer. By convention "localhost" is an alias and can be
substituted
for
the computer's name on any computer, but only on that same computer.
Similarly the local IP of my is 192.168.0.13 and can be found from
the
command prompt with "ipconfig."  Again there is a shorthand alias
for
the
local IP of all computers so they can talk to themselves and that IP
is
127.0.0.1  If you start your Apache and see the little green running
light
you can enter any of the four address to get to the Apache splash
page:

http://127.0.0.1/xampp/splash.php
http://192.168.0.13/xampp/splash.php
http://schuster/xampp/splash.php
http://localhost/xampp/splash.php

Localhost and 127.0.0.1 allow programmers and controls to access the
webserver locally without knowing it's name or local IP.  Just to
confuse
you further, there is a text file buried on your computer called
Hosts.
If
you put an entry there, you can point any name like
"www.simoogle.com"
any IP, including 127.0.0.1 so you could use the actual name to run
it
(only for you) on your test server without using any of the above
four
methods. Of course your could not reach the real external site
without
changing or deleting the host entry.  Just as an aside, there is
also a
file lmhosts that allows you to associate your computer name with a
specific IP. This can be helpful or dangerous DAMHIK.

So if you didn't understand the localhost concept before, I'm sure
that
have totally confused you. But just type it in at the beginning of
the
address and it will keep it on your local webserver instead of
scouring
the
Internet for a different one.  Hope that helps.

Jerry