[bsg] Stoner woods on Red River in Shreveport/ Caddo 04/ 21/ 13

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 19:11:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

Charlie and I had more success with migrants at Stoner this morning. Firefox
just kicked me off in the middle of entering the list so here's a brief
run-down of our Stoner list from this morning. We began with a rather late
start at 0750 a.m. Charlie birded 2/3 of the route with me before leaving for
Chance's baseball game. He called not long after leaving to report a Greater
Roadrunner at E Kings and Stratmore- an interesting record indeed!! I haven't
heard a report in 8-10 years or so but there were other "urban" pairs and
individuals in the vicinity of Highland neigborhood, then also old Broadmoor
near Querbes golf course over the years. I've seen the Querbes birds take green
anoles. Others have observed both the Querbes and Highland birds eating House
Sparrow- interesting stuff!!

I skipped the bridge for the Stoner survey and quickly drove N toward Sentell
Rd/ Dixie afterward in search of Swainson's Hawk. I skunked-out in Dixie. Many
of the fields there were already filled with 4"-6" corn. Some of the remaining
fields had yet to be worked or had been somewhat recently worked but were
empty. I drove on North to Gilliam and finally found 3 individuals lifting off
at Gilliam Scott Slough and Gilliam Levee. Included was an adult and juvenile
light morph and a juvenile dark-intermediate morph. Moving from place to place
rather quickly, I didn't keep a list. I did note quite a few (although
comparatively low for this time to most years) Dickcissel males singing along
fencerows and wires, also good numbers of Lark Sparrow and Scissor-tailed
Flycatcher.

Here's a portion of our Stoner list from this morning-

Great Crested Fly- 4
Eastern Kingbird- 2
White-eyed Vireo- 3
Blue-headed Vireo- 1- This past winter was one of the scarcest seasons for
these that I can remember......
Warbling Vireo- 13- many singers. Most in Parking lot woods, central opening
and S end.
Red-eyed "- 8
House Wren- Sep singers.
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher- 7 LOW!!

Ruby-crowned Kinglet- 5. Detection of these rose late during survey.

Gray-cheeked Thrush- FOS. Giving song and "fseer" or "pheew" calls in S end.

Swainson's Thrush- 3- as 2,1. One individual giving full song.
Blue-winged Warbler- 1 male/ S end- again in hackberry. Over the years I've
found low, viney Japanese honeysuckle edges to be the best for these, though.

Tennessee Warbler- 9- All seen were females- 4 females in one willow in
Northwest opening with 3 Nashville included. 2 sep males heard giving "tune-up"
song- which is the first I've heard this year. Normally they'd have been
singing all over by this time.............

Orange-crowned Warbler- 1, also giving song in S end.
Nashville Warbler- 6. Only a single extremely bright indiv among those seen.
Two singers.
Northern Parula- 1- song

Yellow-rumped Warbler- 5 Low! Single indiv singing early although most were
males.
Black-throated Green Wa.- 1 song

Black-and-White "- 1 ad male.
Northern Waterthrush- 3 no song today.

Common Yellowthroat- 2 song
Hooded Warbler- 3- males. Unless nos have already passed through Stoner, these
are exceptionally late arriving this year as migrants. Waves of females should
have already been coming through as well.........
Summer Tanager- 1 m/ song.
White-throated Sparrow- 24
Indigo Bunting- 3. Stoner, being almost totally late-succession, has been
lackluster for buntings for some years.
Orchard Oriole- 1 song
Baltimore- 17. All seen were males.

A group of 10 Am White Pelican circling over the central opening with a single
juvenile- plumaged Double-crested Cormorant following and circling with the
group was a bit odd. There was also what appeared to be a moribund pelican on
the Bossier side of the river on the bank next to a wooded strip.

Cheers,

Terry