[bsg] Re: [LABIRD-L] Some calls of migrating Empidonax flycatchers.

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 18:39:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all, I put that together fairly quickly. Other than quite a few typos in
both punctuation and spelling, the main thing I see wrong with the info was
that I wrote that Alder trills usually come AFTER the bickering calls. Well, it
can go either way but they usually precede the bickering/ chase calls when
heard under natural circumstances without playback. They often trill beforehand
after playback, as well. I believe the bickering to be given as a culmination
of the agonistic trills usually given while they are sitting, with bickering
calls given immediately before, during, or immediately after a chase sequence.
Oftentimes, the lower, dense canopies where these migrants are frequently
found, it's too darn thick to see the birds relocating most of the time. Other
than actually seeing the birds bickering at the time they were moving on some
occasions, I've also gotten a brief look at movement on many occasions at the
same time the bickering was heard.

Other than that, it's rather long and overbearing and I failed to mention a
species name in the continuum of some related sentences- but if one takes the
time to read, it can be determined in context which one I was referring too. I
plan on eventually putting this together in an easier-to-read chart of
individual species that's shorter and doesn't skip around so bad.

Cheers,

Terry