[bsg] Golden-winged and BREWSTER'S Warbler at RRNWR Headquarters unit/ Bossier 09/15/13

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 11:27:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jay/ all,

 It was a slightly better day for migrants at headquarters- but any early
arriving wintering land birds, including the 3 Savannah Sparrow at Yates
Yesterday, are possibly on the coast by now!? O-; I sure didn't find a single
one that I was hoping for. I figured I might at least find House Wren, seeing
that the birds had a good night to rest after N winds yesterday. However, I
made up for that with the Golden-winged (hy male or ad f) and Brewster's
(typical 1st generation with yellow smudge on whitish breast- prob ad male)
together in the taller willows approx 150 yards W of the E end of the Chocolate
trail- with a single adf/ hym Yellow Wa. Most of my scarce fall Golden-winged
have been found at Stoner- and I'm thinking it was slightly earlier than this
for most of those in past years? This will make my fourth or so record of
Brewster's Warbler (including odd looking variant at Stoner) and 1st ever
record for fall. All Spring Brewster's records except
 one at Wright Island were at Stoner. From memory, all Spring hybrid records
had previously been found in the company of Blue-winged.

Other good records this morning included 1 Ovenbird- in rough-leaf dogwood near
W entrance to Chocolate trail and Magnolia Warbler - 2 at sep locations- one
prob hy male on extreme E end of Chocolate and another identified to sp only on
the central/ W portion of trail- also in willows. There were 11-13 Roseate
Spoonbill and a small handful of shorebird spp which increased the day count
slightly to 73 spp. Black Vulture and N Cardinal showed increases of 85 (BLVU
on the dead fish and roost on back pond) and 42 respectively. There were 3
Painted Bunting and slight increase of Indigo, too. Other than that, things are
still quite slow. I'll post the entire list later- just wanted to make sure to
get the warbler sighting out there in case someone might want to try for them
this afternoon.

Good birding,

Terry