[bsg] Fw: eBird Report - Red River NWR--Pintail Tract, Dec 11, 2012

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 16:16:33 -0800 (PST)

 Hi all, Here's an old listfrom Decemberfrom an area that I hadn'tpreviously
birded. After entering this list, I had just finished entering another of the
many lists I'm behind on when I gota b.s. message from e-bird regarding
"highly-trained parrots". Thishas happened once before. Has this happened to
anyone else? I have cut and pasted it into an e-mail if anyone wants to see it.

Red River NWR-Nabors Pintail Tract, De Soto, US-LA
Dec 11, 2012 7:55 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Birded with Hubert Hervey. 2 observers, 3 hrs. 35 minutes, 1.5
miles walked (3 miles round trip). 39 degrees, clear, calm/light N beginning,
46 degrees, clear, light N ending. We parked at hwy 84 and walked the ridge to
the bayou crossing, then a good way West along the bayou near property
boundaries. The habitat was comprised of mostly scattered larger oaks and other
deciduous trees along the ridge down to the bayou to our East, then hackberry
with profuse Chasmanthium understory in the flats along the creek to the East
and North, then more pines and oak/pine mix and scattered somewhat denser
thickets to the West. There were a few small to medium-sized grassy openings
along the mile+ of trail between 84 and our curve to the West along the bayou.
The soil appears rather poor and good thickets were few, with much of the woods
more-so open. Sparrow numbers were comparatively low across the area, but we
did find quite a few kinglets, Brown
 Creeper and Winter Wren. Hairy Woodpecker was probably the best bird of the
day.
37 species

Turkey Vulture  3
Cooper's Hawk  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  16
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  10
Downy Woodpecker  2
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  5
Pileated Woodpecker  3
Eastern Phoebe  7
Blue Jay  3
American Crow  3
Fish Crow  26     group moving higher East
Carolina Chickadee  3
Tufted Titmouse  14
Brown Creeper  9
House Wren  3
Winter Wren  12     only wren playback used for.
Carolina Wren  10
Golden-crowned Kinglet  17
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  15
Eastern Bluebird  3
Hermit Thrush  11
American Robin  2
American Pipit  4     high E
Cedar Waxwing  12
Orange-crowned Warbler  1
Pine Warbler  4     surprisingly low
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  21
Eastern Towhee  1
Chipping Sparrow  1
Song Sparrow  3     Only farther North, then West along the creek. Amazingly
missed at fields, entrance, etc.
White-throated Sparrow  22     Scatt smaller grps of 2,1,6,5,8
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)  8     6,2
Northern Cardinal  5     Low
Red-winged Blackbird  1     commuter
Pine Siskin  9     4 individuals observed feeding at Campsis seed pods in tree.
Blurry photos taken.
American Goldfinch  20

View this checklist online at