[bsg] Fw: eBird Report - Atkins Clark rd. near Elm Grove, Jan 5, 2013

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 18:55:38 -0800 (PST)

 Afternoon list...........

Atkins Clark rd. near Elm Grove, Bossier, US-LA
Jan 5, 2013 2:45 PM - 5:55 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.4 mile(s)
Comments:     1 observer, 4.4 miles 3 hrs, 10 minutes. 14 degrees, cloudy, 5
SSE beginning, cloudy, 44 degrees, SE 2 ending. Birded Atkins Clark rd portion
of the BCBCBC. Fox Sparrow in good nos as usual, although not as high as some
past years. Short-eared Owl was by far the best bird of the day!
I ran through Clark's Marina for 10 minutes prior to this count to try for
Horned Lark. I didn't find them but found 5 Western Meadowlark in a pecan at
Dennis Clark's old property, then 25 Lapland Longspur in the field next to the
Marina- which is gated off and closed.
63 species (+1 other taxa)

Wood Duck  26     7,17,2 sep portions of Flat River
Gadwall  40     SSE to roost- very surprising miss today was GWTE!
Pied-billed Grebe  1     FR
Double-crested Cormorant  4     2,1,1 comm
Great Blue Heron  2     1,1
Great Egret  3     2,1
Black Vulture  1
Turkey Vulture  1
Northern Harrier  19     18 observed in fairly tight group going to roost- much
long, thin descending "seeeeeyu" from 3 or more of group early. 1 female-type
giving barking  "kik kik kik kik kik kik" numerous times while circling as last
bird going down near dark

Red-tailed Hawk  9
Red-tailed Hawk (Krider's)  1     adult, also another "krider's-like" indiv
within RTHA nos above
Killdeer  8     5,2,1
American Woodcock  2     Flybys chippered right past my head near dark-
strangely, no roding afterward, though.
Rock Pigeon  7
Mourning Dove  8     All grps 1-2
Eastern Screech-Owl  2     day-calling birds at sep spots- 11 for the day!
Great Horned Owl  3     Singles sep loc's calling- last indiv observed- 6 for
the day!

Short-eared Owl  1     Heard the longish thin, wavering squeal, then turned
approx 2 seconds before the bird dropped as fem-type NOHA tailed it low over
grass. Stiff butterfly-like wingbeats (saw maybe 3 flaps) and overall shape and
proportions correct although briefly seen. I've only heard this type call given
once before by a bird on Yearwood Rd, possibly on another occasion, although I
remembered it being more level than the wavering quality of this bird. The call
I've heard with most vocal individuals in past years is a single drawn-out,
hoarse "eeeeyap", sometimes repeated only once or twice between longer pauses.
This is the same area where I'd had them previously on this count, then during
a season afterward, but the first in quite a few years. The "agitation" call at
end of Stokes is right for quality but sounds slightly different, too. It makes
sense that this call might sound variable, being given when a bird is in
distress. I tried playback
 to the bird shortly after seeing it drop. A Great Horned Owl flew in
immediately after I played it, from the pasture to the North, and perched
nearby along a fence. It had been calling distantly from the S just before
this. There was no response afterward. This location is immediately East of the
water treatment area near the West end of Atkins-Clark.

Belted Kingfisher  2     1,1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  12
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  11     ! 38 for day total. Not a record, but the best
in some years!
Downy Woodpecker  3
Northern Flicker  9
American Kestrel  3     1m,  2f
Eastern Phoebe  14
Loggerhead Shrike  1
Blue Jay  12
American Crow  7
Carolina Chickadee  8
Tufted Titmouse  2
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1     1st Flat River juncture immediately E of 71.
House Wren  4
Winter Wren  1
Sedge Wren  4     At SEOW loc.
Carolina Wren  12     No BEWR- not for lack of trying....
Golden-crowned Kinglet  3     2,1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  40     THAT'S 162 for the day- my highest count ever!!
Most on Eastern portions of rd- counts again of 10 and 8 at two separate
portions of Flat River.
Eastern Bluebird  5
Hermit Thrush  1
American Robin  10     2,8, Flat River locs
Northern Mockingbird  10
Brown Thrasher  1
European Starling  80     w/RWBL
American Pipit  2     1,1
Orange-crowned Warbler  3
Common Yellowthroat  1
Pine Warbler  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  71
Eastern Towhee  3
Savannah Sparrow  12
Fox Sparrow  53     Lower at some locations but 20 in one ~100' scan across
from McAteer property just West of the Northeast abrupt curve West of the road.
Y'all be very careful at this location! It's best not to visit early or late
during hunting season. This is a small rural dirt rd that could be busy with
hunters, especially near the Northeast curve. I had a good talk with Tom M, as
usual. He doesn't take to well to "rubberneckers !@#&ing off on the side of the
road with cassette tapes and what have you"!! Lol. I can't help breaking into
an occasional fit of laughter when talking with him. He's actually pretty
cool,- and funny as heck after he's had a few. You wouldn't want to take him
too lightly, though. He doesn't play. He knows late afternoon is when I visit-
which kinda makes it tough for all of us. He was about to go feed and stay on
the look out for Jimmie Davis- a buck he'd seen that according to him, had a
rack as wide as the JD bridge, as
 I left after talking with him.

Song Sparrow  46
Lincoln's Sparrow  1     In dense Braz vervain just S of second Flat River
juncture.
Swamp Sparrow  18     low!
White-throated Sparrow  90
Harris's Sparrow  7     3,2,2 at sep locs- most juv or smaller fem-type. One
large male. With WCSP only at one spot, with WTSP at one (3), then lone at
another.
White-crowned Sparrow  43
Northern Cardinal  41
Red-winged Blackbird  588
Eastern Meadowlark  7     2,1,1,1,2 sep loc's- kind've odd
Brewer's Blackbird  7     5m, 2f w/near cattle as usual
Common Grackle  5
American Goldfinch  13     10,2,1
House Sparrow  2

View this checklist online at