[bsg] Fw: eBird Report - Cross Lake/Shreveport, Nov 10, 2012

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 21:33:21 -0800 (PST)

Hi all, I just noticed after sending my previous post that the wordswereshown
afterward to be runningtogetherin my salutation/opening sentence.Now,I'll bethe
first to admit that my punctuation leaves a lot to be desired- and I'm pretty
tired right now. However, I checked sent mail anditcertainly wasn't sent that
way........so somethingelse must be cluster'ing it betweenhereand there! (-;
This kind of reminds me of those run-away partial sentences in the beginning of
many e-bird posts,yet a bit more odd. I'm at a loss on this recent one, though.
Hopefully this one doesn't get skewed........................

Cross Lake/Shreveport, Caddo, US-LA
Nov 10, 2012 2:25 PM - 5:25 PM
Protocol: Traveling
12.0 mile(s)
Comments:     2 observers, 3 hours (2:25- 5:25 p.m.) 12 miles by boat. 40%
cloudy, 78 degrees, wind s 12-15, calmer ending. Survey of Cross Lake by boat
with Charlie Lyon. Good count of Franklin's Gull w/ larger nos of Ring-billed
but lower Forster's Tern, Am Coot very low compared to previous survey.
Landbird nos way down on n side, possibly attributable to windy conditions,
although also low in less wind on Fortney Bayou. Interesting how the ducks
appear to almost completely AVOID the west end of the lake during hunting
season..................
55 species (+1 other taxa)

Wood Duck  14     2 Fortney Bayou, rest Cotton Pocket
Gadwall  366     most mid-lake slightly e, then e end.
Mallard  41     wary/slim, faster-flying group mid-lake north, slightly to w.
Mallard (Domestic type)  165     Several large groups- one of the best showings
of funnies I've seen, considering Barron's Landing area not fully covered.
Northern Shoveler  23     Scatt small grps, mostly mid-lake n- 2,1,6,1,6,7
Canvasback  475     increase. Largest grp of 300 indivs, most mid-lake n
Redhead  2     pr flushed w/ CANV mid-lake n
Ring-necked Duck  17     3, 14-down from last
Lesser Scaup  111     Groups of 3 to 50, mostly mid-lake n and slightly west,
scattered few on e end.
Ruddy Duck  3500     widespread n side, except few west end, largest
concentration near I-220
Pied-billed Grebe  13     all 1-2 except single group of 3.........!
Double-crested Cormorant  6520     Large group of 3500+ foraging mid-lake n
w/numerousRBGU, 1 HEGU in attendance. Rookery counted, then observed return of
first gp when leaving.
Great Blue Heron  18
Great Egret  30     significant decrease
Black Vulture  1     w end
Turkey Vulture  5     scatt
Sharp-shinned Hawk  2     ad, prob f mid-lake n, then juv, prob male at Fortney.
Cooper's Hawk  1     juv, prob m- mid-lake n
Red-shouldered Hawk  1     same loc as last survey- again very vocal
Red-tailed Hawk  1     dark morph or possible Harlan's- not seen well at w end.
American Coot  1345     Very low, especially considering we missed much of
Cotton Pocket, a coot stronghold, during previous survey
Killdeer  2     yacht club near dark
Spotted Sandpiper  1     yacht club, beginning
Franklin's Gull  650     Just about everywhere on the lake- from scattered nos
dropping in from high on w end to larger concentrations on e end, roost not
counted separately late. This count was linear from w to e and very
conservative.
Ring-billed Gull  375     mid-lake s roost.
Herring Gull  2     single 1st cycle w/DCCO-  2 among RBGU at roost
Forster's Tern  20     roost- significant decrease.
Mourning Dove  11     Buzzard Is
Barred Owl  2     Fortney- again very entertaining
Belted Kingfisher  6     scatt
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  2     same tree- mid-lake n
Pileated Woodpecker  1     Fortney
Eastern Phoebe  4
Blue Jay  2     ! ZERO crows!
Carolina Chickadee  2     again, no TUTI.....
Brown Creeper  1     Sharp's
House Wren  1
Winter Wren  6     very high, considering....
Carolina Wren  4     3,1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2     1,1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  5     1,1,2,1
Eastern Bluebird  6     5,1
Northern Mockingbird  2     yacht club
European Starling  200     Buzzard Is
Pine Warbler  4     1,1,2- still low.
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  19     significant increase, most mid-lake n.
Song Sparrow  2     1,1, mid-lake n side
Swamp Sparrow  3     singles "
White-throated Sparrow  9     5,2,2, "
Northern Cardinal  3
Red-winged Blackbird  205     30, 75 100 scattered, Buzzard Island and mid-lake
Brown-headed Cowbird  8     Buzzard Is
House Finch  3     sep singles- calling flybys -mid-lake n.

View this checklist online at

Good birding........oh, and btw, could someone PLEASE tell me what's going on
with the doubled-up runaway sentences before some e-bird posts?

Terry.