[bsg] FW: Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz~~!!

  • From: "Ingold, James" <James.Ingold@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:54:30 -0600

BIRD STUDY GROUP

"Get Rusty" this spring to save a declining blackbird!

Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz- Calling All Birders!

Why?  Over the past half-century, the historically abundant Rusty Blackbird has
endured one of the steepest population declines ever documented among North
American landbirds. Within the last 15 years, scientists have learned more
about this bird's breeding and wintering ecology, and this knowledge allows us
to target conservation initiatives during these phases of this bird's annual
cycle.  However, as with many migratory species, we know very little about
Rusty Blackbird ecology, distribution, and habitat use during migration. Are
there hot spots where many individuals congregate?  Are there stopover areas
that are used predictably each year, and are these locations protected? The
Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz will address these and other questions
to help focus future research and conservation of one of North America's most
vulnerable blackbirds. We're recruiting an army of birders to participate in
this effort to help conserve this fascinating songbird.  Will you accept our
birding challenge?

Who?  The International Rusty Blackbird Working Group, eBird, and the Vermont
Center for Ecostudies are partnering with local organizations to recruit
volunteer observers from across the southeastern U.S., East Coast, Midwest,
Alaska, and Canada.

What? Each participating state, province, and territory will have a 3-8 week
target window during which birders will search for Rusty Blackbirds.  Within
this window, birders may explore favored birding haunts or newly identified
areas that they suspect may harbor Rusty Blackbirds. We'll provide some
guidance on potential habitats to explore, but birders should feel free to get
creative - and ambitious! - with their searching.

When?  Spring 2014 kicks off the first year of this three-year Spring Migration
Blitz; the Blitz window will span early March through mid-June, with more
specific timeframes identified for each state or province to account for the
northward migratory progression.

Where?  Get ready for a continent-wide event!  The Spring Blitz will span the
Rusty Blackbird's entire spring migration range, from the wintering grounds in
the southeastern United States, up the East Coast and through the Midwest to
Canada and Alaska.

How do I get involved?  Easy!  If you'd like to contribute data to the Spring
Migration Blitz effort, bird as you normally do, focusing on potential Rusty
Blackbird habitat during the Blitz time frame established for your region.  You
can seek out the best-known places for Rusty sightings or explore uncharted
territory.  Make sure to report ALL of your observations to eBird - we want to
know both where you saw these birds and where you didn't.  Check out the newly
revamped website of the International Rusty Blackbird Working Group
(http://rustyblackbird.org/outreach/migration-blitz/ ) for information about
identification, vocalizations, habitat preferences, and types of data to
collect to support this initiative. Also,
contact Spring Migration Blitz Coordinator Judith Scarl
(jscarl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ) to get involved in the broader Blitz initiative!

Thanks for "Getting Rusty" with us this spring!  Like us on Facebook
(https://www.facebook.com/rustyblackbirdspringblitz ) to follow up-to-the
minute information about our Blitz, and happy birding!

The International Rusty Blackbird Working Group
eBird and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Vermont Center for Ecostudies

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may contain
information that is PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, and/or EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE
under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information
contained herein is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this communication in
error, please destroy all copies of the message, whether in electronic or hard
copy format, as well as attachments and immediately contact the sender by
replying to this email.