[bsg] Bewick's Wren, 3500 Franklin's Gull and a possible second confirmed state record of Mexican Yellow. Bossier/ Caddo 11/10/13

  • From: Terry Davis <trdavis22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bulletin Board for Dissemination of Information on Louisiana Birds <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bsg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 20:35:38 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

Ronnie Maum and Mark Wilson joined me this morning at the overlook behind the
RRNWR Headquarters building in Bossier City where we found our fos Bewick's
Wren of the season. Ronnie got a decent shot which will be a new one for the
refuge image catalog. I was pretty sure I was hearing a distant second bird and
sure enough, it was calling loudly from the pecans and dead giant ragweed
clumps edging the parkway in front of the building as we exited the breezeway
on the way out. A first noted pulse of 4 to 5 Bald Eagles, including 3-4 adults
and one 1-2 year-old bird were mentionable- an excellent raptor day! FIFTEEN
Snowy Egrets was a good late number and a single adult taiga Merlin were nice,
too! Fairly high numbers of Am Goldfinch have arrived. Other than that, varying
numbers from previous survey of the usual suspects were found. Overall, it was
yet another high spp-count and list for such a small area. Mark and Ronnie were
both excellent spotters today
 and Ronnie stayed super-busy with the shutter finger!

Birded Cross Lake with Charlie Lyon later in the afternoon, who quickly spotted
and photographed a Mexican yellow nectaring at the Lantana edging the front
walk to the Shreveport Yacht Club Clubhouse- which may well be a second
photo-confirmed STATE RECORD!! Franklin's Gull were in astounding numbers
coming to roost and putting down in the open middle of the lake just Northeast
of the property- between there and the bridge. We counted 1500 during our first
survey shortly after 3 p.m. A mini-flotilla of four tired American Avocet
joined them as we pushed East toward the bridge after other arrivals. Just
before dark, the FRGU roost conservatively contained 3500 birds, with nearby
mid-lake roost of 1800+ RBGU and a shockingly early 30 or so day total of
Herring Gull- but only one Forster's Tern. After terribly low numbers the
previous season, American Coot and Ruddy Duck numbers are definitely shaping up
to at least equal their usually much higher winter
 numbers. I haven't totaled the list yet but around 10,000+ for AMCO and
4-5,000 for Ruddy. Two Bald Eagles, fos Horned Grebe and varying numbers of
dabblers and Aythya (including 2 fos Redhead) were welcome, too

For another great day of birding!

Terry