[boot scriptor] Re: Features.....

  • From: Chris Selivanow <cselivanow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bscript@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 15:04:53 -0500

Mike-

I agree that I can use a low quality 320x240 menu screen
to tell the user to hit a key to display a text menu.
My only issue is that what if the hardware isn't VGA
compatable such as a console redirect via the BIOS.
Such a redirect would send text but obviously not graphics.

I guess what I am asking is:

Is it possible to have the show command maybe automatically
run another script or give an error code if VGA display
hardware isn't found?

It's not really high on my priority list but I was thinking
of that because my company does have some customers with
headless servers.

-Chris

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 01:30:44 -0600
"Michael K Ter Louw" <mterlouw@xxxxxxx> wrote:

MKTL>
MKTL> Hi Chris,
MKTL>
MKTL> > I was thinking that one would create the menu as usual but
MKTL> > also include a command to display an image at the start of
MKTL> > each menu page (after the original menu was displayed?).
MKTL> > This image should stay visible until a key has been pressed
MKTL> > or until a timed command was executed.  Of course, if the PC
MKTL> > hardware doesn't support displaying graphics then the menu
MKTL> > should still
MKTL> > be displayed.
MKTL>
MKTL> Like Doctor XP said, you can accomplish this using the show image
MKTL> command.  I think for what you are describing, you would type some
MKTL> commands like this:
MKTL>
MKTL> secondary_menu:
MKTL>
MKTL> ; Show the intro graphic.
MKTL> show image 2ndmenu.bsi 2ndmenu.bmp
MKTL> getkey 5  ; This will show the graphic
MKTL>           ; until a key is pressed,
MKTL>           ; or for a maximum of five seconds
MKTL>
MKTL> ; Now display the text menu.
MKTL> cls
MKTL> print "1. Option 1\n"
MKTL> print "2. Option 2\n"
MKTL> print "3. Option 3\n"
MKTL> show console
MKTL>
MKTL> ; Now wait for user input.
MKTL> menu_input_loop:
MKTL> getkey
MKTL> onkey 1 goto option1
MKTL> onkey 2 goto option2
MKTL> onkey 3 goto option3
MKTL> goto menu_input_loop
MKTL>
MKTL>
MKTL> If this isn't the feature you're referring to, please try to describe it
MKTL> in greater detail.
MKTL>
MKTL> Mike
MKTL>
MKTL>

--
Chris Selivanow             585 582-1600
Lead Technician             585 624-3465 (fax)