[Bristol-Birds] story of a lost cell phone heading home to its owner

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 17:17:01 -0400

While we were afield in Golden-winged Warbler habitat in

Ashe Co., NC last week near Snake Mountain, a cell phone

was found atop a fencepost with no one around.  It appeared

to be in good shape but the battery needed charging.

The fact it was a Samsung by Verizon prompted us to recover

it and maybe it could be returned to the owner.

Today it was taken to the Verizon sales and service store at

Exit 7 of I-81 in Bristol Virginia.

Quickly they removed the back and keyed the serial number

into their computer database.  The name of the owner, who

lives at Todd, NC, was found.

The phone had been deactivated 30 May 2014, about a

month after it had been lost and a day after we found

it.

Verizon called the phone's owner on his new phone.  He

was amazed, excited and very pleased.  He was told where

the phone was found on the slopes beneath Snake Mountain

and he remembered stopping at that location.

But what he desperately needed was much lost data and

a lengthy phone book of numbers it would have been very

long and involved trying to replace.

No problem!  Verizon immediately packaged and mailed

the phone to him free of charge.

The owner said it fell out of his pocket when he got out of

a vehicle at that site because he did not place it on the

fencepost.  Someone else must have picked it up and put

it on the post.

A happy and thankful customer.