[Bristol-Birds] indentification request

  • From: "cfm46" <cfm46@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 18:59:20 -0500

I need some help with an identification.

I was heading up 66 out of Sevierville this morning (Jan. 1)
about 11:30. We were not yet to the French Broad bridge. I
spied a large bird (at first it seemed large) that was black
bodied, black winged, white head, and white tail. My heart
said it was an eagle. It was of slow wing beat, didn?t
wattle like TV, and for some time flew in one direction
(north) rather than getting tossed sideways by the wind.

As it passed over the car what changed was my thinking about
size. I can?t explain why, but I felt it too small to be
an eagle. The wing tips were more rounded than pointed. It
had a crook in the elbow. You have to remember this was new
specs on old eyes trying to look out from underneath the
roof of the car.

I?d appreciate any (kind) thoughts. I wish I could have
better information for you.

I just feel I can?t be so lucky on January 1.

Charles Moore
Johnson City