[bristol-birds] hummers at my place

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 20:49:33 -0300

To those keeping track:

I have somewhere in the range of 5 to 10 hummers that
can be visually counted each day coming to my five
hummingbird feeders in Bristol, TN.  I can see the ups
and down and the number is not real constant.

I believe we don't have the same little batch of hummers
present everyday.  I think, and Bob Sargent the hummer
author, researcher and expert, will agree, that the
hummer numbers at our feeders represent many
different birds every day or so.  Heavy migration moving
through the area?

Rick Knight is having a good bird banding season atop
Roan Mountain TN/NC.  I actually sense from all reports
that we are under a very good migration flight for landbirds
and some other species throughout the east.  Everywhere
on listservers in many states the warbler flights have been
good and constant.   We might can call it heavy.  But the
big, big years of the 1950's to 1970's still weigh on my
mind and I'm not exactly sure if this is a good year, a
heavy year or whatever in terms of today's continental
population.

Hummer experts say you can mutiply that number by
10 or so to get a more realistic number because that
is what banding on a daily basis at such feeders will
reveal.

People like Dave Worley in Russell Co. will use so
much food in his hummer feeders that he has to refill
his feeders every day.  I've never had that much
useage so you can see just how low my number
actually may be.

I can remember when we could catch 250 Evening
Grosbeaks at a set of traps at a feeder and never
see more than 10 to 15 birds present at any one
time.  Sometimes when I see nearly a hundred
grosbeaks at a house with several feeders,  I wonder
if there really could be 2,000 to 2,500 caught and
banded in a few weeks at that location.  Well, when
you think in such large numbers, and no one has
actually looked at 2,500 Evening Grosbeaks at
once around these parts, you just wonder what is
going on out there in nature land.

John Shumate, in Shady Valley, will feed a 50-pound
bag of sunflower seed each week to the Evening Grosbeaks
at his feeder during a good winter influx.

Take care.....

Wallace Coffey
Bristol

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958