[Bristol-Birds] Re: bear visits increasing daily in Bristol

  • From: "Richard Kretz" <kretz9446@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 21:48:13 -0400

 Interesting reports about the bear. Summer is the time of year when they're
out and about scavenging. Bears are prevalent throughout Northeast TN and
southwest VA. As birders we should be mindful of this when we are in the woods
as encounters aren't uncommon.

    Snakes are something else we should be mindful of right now; being
especially vigilant for rattlers and copperheads. Summer heat makes them active
(notice all the dead ones in the roads) and aggressive. Contrary to popular
belief, rattlers don't always rattle before striking and they do climb trees.
Birders should be careful and pay close attention to what's on the ground in
front of and around them in addition to looking for birds in the trees when in
the woods and brushy areas with branches/logs/lots of rocks. In addition, avoid
wildlife that "isn't acting right" (raccoons, squirrels, possum, skunk, fox,
coyote, etc.) as they may have rabies. As a final precaution, check yourself
thoroughly for ticks regularly during field trips and immediately upon
returning home from trips to the field. Birding is fun, but it's prudent to
respect nature and think safety first. Enjoy the birds, but let's bird safely...

Richard Kretz
Elk Garden, Russell Co., VA