[Bristol-Birds] Barn Owls

  • From: "Michelle Brown" <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 07:15:51 -0400

I found myself in Johnson City (Washington CO) last night as a volunteer in a
mock drill.  I had some time to kill and decided to check on the Barn Owls at
the V.A. Theatre Building #35.  I found one adult sitting in the eaves on the
front right corner of the building.  On the left side of the building I found
one deceased nestling on the ground directly below one of the openings left for
the owls to use as a nesting ledge.  Given the heat and the condition of the
body in this terrible heat I would say he hadn't been there too long.
I continued my stroll around the building and as I rounded the corner to the
other side I heard movement in the eaves above.  The opening on this side of
the building had little white downy feathers floating down.  I positioned
myself for a better look and was soon treated to what appears to be a young
bird.  His/her little head still had tufts of downy feathers and a little fuz
on his/her back.
It would appear that there may have been two active nests.  Perhaps two pairs
sharing a fabulous nesting site.  It is unfortunate that one has been lost but
it is wonderful to see the other prospering at this point.

Michelle King
Blountville TN
Sullivan Co