[Bristol-Birds] Up-coming activities of the Herndon Bird Club

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 08:26:09 -0500

Following the Herndon Bird Club meeting of last evening, the following
activities are planned:

1.  FIELD TRIP  Saturday, December 11, to western Washington County.  Meet at 8
a.m. at the Ingles Grocery parking lot on Hwy 11E in western Jonesborough.  We
will check ponds north and south of Hwy 11E and the farm and grassland areas
around Limestone.  Birds of interest that have been seen recently in the area
include N. Pintails and Loggerhead Shrike at or near Bush Hog Pond (Precision
Blvd) and Horned Larks, Lapland Longspurs, N. Harrier and Peregrine Falcon near
Limestone.   Bring snacks and water.  For those who wish to finish with lunch,
the Mountain View Restaurant on 11E will be a convenient place to eat.  The
high temperature for the day is predicted to be 48 F,--bring appropriate warm
clothing.

2.  CHRISTMAS BIRD COUNTS --
     Elizabethton Christmas Count--Saturday, December 18  The count circle is
divided into six areas, listed below with the leader for each group:
    1.  City of Elizabethton, Sycamore Shoals--Gary Wallace, Bryan Stevens
    2.  Wilbur Lake, Rasar Farm--Rick Knight
    3.  Hampton, Dennis Cove--Fred Alsop
    4.  Upper Watauga, Little Stoney, Butler--Joe McGuiness and Kim Stroud
    5.  Stoney Creek--Glen Eller
    6.  Water Treatment Plant and north side of Holston Mountain--Tom MacNeil
and Rob Biller
    If you wish to join a group for the Elizabethton count, check with the
group leader for time and place to meet for that area, or check with Count
Leader Rick Knight (rknight8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) or with me.

    Roan Mountain Count--Sunday, December 19  This count has two area leaders:
     Fred Alsop's group will meet at 6:00 a.m. at the Science Building parking
lot at Milligan College (same place where we park for our Herndon Club
meetings) and proceed from there
     Rick Knight's group will meet at 7:00 a.m. at the parking lot of the Roan
Mountain Park Visitor Center.  Depending on the number of participants who meet
there, the group may split into two groups, one to cover the Burbank area and
the other to head up toward Carver's Gap.

3.  CLUB CHRISTMAS PARTY and COUNT COMPILATIONS
     The Party will be at the Gil and Mary Derouen residence at 2702 Avondale
in Johnson City beginning at 6:00 p.m.  Bring a plate of snacks or finger food
to share.  Drinks will be provided.  The results of both the Elizabethton and
the Roan Mountain counts will be compiled at the party.

4.  REGULAR JANUARY CLUB MEETING
     The regular January meeting of the Herndon Club will be at 7:00 p.m.on the
first Tuesday of January (January 4) pending availability of the Science
Building rooms on that date.  I'll post a confirmation of the meeting date when
it is established.  The program will be on the club field trip to several
wildlife areas in South Carolina October 15-18, 2010.  Presentation of the
program will be led by Kathy Noblet.

Club dues for 2011 may be sent to club treasurer Darla Anderson.  Contact me
for further information.  Contact information on club members will be prepared
after the February meeting.

Roy Knispel, Pres.
Lee & Lois Herndon Chapter, TOS
Phone:  423-202-7802