[Bristol-Birds] Sandhill Crane, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 10:24:24 -0400 (EDT)

July 7, 2012
[posted July 8, 2012]

Greene County: Joachim Bible Refuge unit of Lick Creek Bottoms Wildlife
Management Area (JBR) and nearby areas

I visited JBR yesterday, specifically to see if the Sandhill Crane that was
present there last month was still present, but also to check for shorebirds
and other migrants. The temperature was in the upper nineties, with high
humidity, and the hour and ten minutes I spent walking around from pond to pond
seemed like a half day. Present were:

Wood Duck (2)
Least Sandpiper
Sandhill Crane
Barn Owl
Dickcissel (5)

The crane flushed from a shady area beside a pond a short distance east of the
barn where Barn Owls are often found. I got a very good look at it as it flew
east. Although it was alert (and calling in alarm) and flew strongly, the left
wing clearly showed evidence of molt or wear, with obvious gaps in the inner
primaries and in the secondaries. The right wing was more feathered, with
little unevenness showing. I think it unlikely that the bird would attempt long
distance flight at this time.

The Least Sandpiper also gave me a good look as it flew past at close range. I
detected no rufous at all in the plumage, suggesting that the bird was an adult
in worn breeding plumage, rather than a juvenile. Since adults depart the
nesting grounds before juveniles, it is probable that the bird was an adult.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN