[Bristol-Birds] Results for Buchanan Co, VA breeding bird survey 13 Jun 2015

  • From: "BBC Net" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Bristol Birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 21:16:17 -0400

On Saturday, June 13, 5 BCBC birders participated in the breeding bird
survey for the county. Seventy-six species were logged for the day with 3
unexpected surprises. The first was when two Green Herons circled and
squawked over our (Mayhorn) property on Compton Mt early in the day. This is
only the second recorded sighting of that species on the mountain. The
earlier sighting was a single bird in May of 2009, also on our upper field.

What are the chances these two birds would show up during our breeding bird
survey!

The second surprise was finding a Northern Bobwhite at Southern Gap. It has
been several years since those beautiful calls were heard here in the
county.

The third surprise, not bird related, was when Daryl Owens found tiny
mussels in a mudhole hundreds of feet above the Levisa River on Caney
Island Branch near Weller Yard.

The group of birders consisting of Don Carrier, me Roger Mayhorn, Daryl
Owens, David Raines and Lynda Mayhorn, who kept a watch on the feeders and
yard stream at home on Compton Mt, found 1 hawk species Redtails, 1 falcon
an American Kestrel, 1 plover species the Killdeer, 5 woodpecker species, 1
owl a Barred, 1 nightjar species a Whip-poor-will, 1 cuckoo, Yellow-billed,
4 flycatcher species, 3 vireo species, 4 swallow species, 3 thrush species,
all three of the mimids, catbird, mockingbird and thrasher, 15 warbler
species, 16 if the Chat is included, also the hard to find species, the
Prairie Warbler at Southern Gap, 1 tanager species the Scarlet, 5 sparrow
species, 1 lark the Horned, 5 blackbird species including meadowlarks, 1
oriole species the Orchard and 2 finch species. (The complete list is
below.)

We got a pretty good sampling of the nesting species within the county.

Thanks to all of those who participated,

Roger Mayhorn

Compton Mt

76 species

Wild Turkey 4

Northern Bobwhite 1

Green Heron 2 circling over Compton Mt, vocalizing

Red-tailed Hawk 5

American Kestrel 1

Killdeer 8

Rock Pigeon 3