[Bristol-Birds] Report on Herndon Bird Club field trip to Newland, NC and Carver's Gap, 3-12-16

  • From: Roy & Robin Knispel <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 14:14:50 -0400

The Herndon Bird Club had a two-part field trip on Saturday, March 12--we met in Newland, NC at 3:30 p.m. to try to view the Monk Parakeets nesting there, then got together in Roan Moountain for dinner and proceeded to Carver's Gap in search of displaying Woodcock and N. Saw-Whet and other Owls.

Participants in the Newland part of the trip were Joe McGuiness, John Whinery, John Hay, Rob Armistead, J.G. and Debi Campbell, David Gardner, Kim Stroud, Wilma Boy, Lois Cox, Brookie and Jean Potter, Katie and Jack Litz, Rick Blanton, and Roy Knispel. We found the Monk Parakeets without any trouble where they had been previously reported. We were shown fine hospitality by the Isaacs who live just across the road from the power transformer installation where the Parakeets are nesting--they have a great array of bird feeders which attract many birds. Other species seen in the area and around the Isaacs' feeders were:
Mallard
Black Vulture
Mourning Dove
Downy Woodpecker
Crow
Carolina Chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
Robin
Song Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Cardinal
Brown-headed Cowbird
Goldfinch

Following dinner in Roan Mountain, some folks left and others joined the group up to Carver's Gap. Participants in this part of the trip were John Whinery, John Hay, Rob Armistead, J.G. and Debi Campbell, David Gardner, Kim Stroud, Jim Anderson, Wilma Boy, Lois Cox, Brookie and Jean Potter, Rick Knight, Jacki Hinshaw, Vern Maddux, Gary Bailey, Rick Blanton, and Roy Knispel.
Species seen and heard around Carver's Gap included:
A Raven
Crows
Robins
Juncos
We did not see or hear any Woodcock or Owls. Hopefully we will be able to schedule another trip for Woodcock this spring.

Roy Knispel
Johnson City

begin:vcard
fn:Roy Knispel