[Bristol-Birds] Re: Owling-John Sevier Lake

  • From: Stephanie Winterrowd <smw6g@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 09:37:44 -0500

Susan,

I don't know if anyone has replied to you yet, but the old raptor nest or the old squirrel nests could be your Owl nest for this season. Although most owls will nest in cavities, several (including Great Horns) will nest in the previous year's nest of other organisms. They just don't build their own nest. As they nest earlier in the season than most diurnal raptors, they are good at "stealing" them. There are sightings of them even "stealing" bald eagle nests!

Cheers!
Stephanie Winterrowd
Wise, Wise County

At 08:53 PM 2/6/2006, you wrote:
After sending earlier post, took my nightly yard stroll. As I went out the door, heard a barred owl calling. Then a few minutes later, the growling/barking calls of the Great Horned Owl protecting its nest. Spotted an owl on tree branch overlooking lake. Size appeared right for Great Horned, but could not make a positive identification in the dark. The deep, growling/barking calls continued for a few minutes. It appears there is a nest close by, probably in the grove of trees in the cow pasture next door There are several squirrel nests and a raptor nest (probably a Red-tail) in the tree grove, and several dead trees in the pasture pond with holes that may be large enough for a Great Horned Owl, although they may not be high enough off the ground. Thoughts? Nicholson atlas states nests in hollow trees 4.6-18.3m off the ground.
Sure wish you could have heard the calls, truly amazing - will keep you posted.
I'll need to climb the barbed wire fence to search for the nest!
Susan Hubley
Rogersville, Hawkins County

Stephanie Morgan Winterrowd Department of Natural Sciences The University of Virginia's College at Wise 1 College Avenue Wise, VA 24293

(276) 376-4692
s_winterrowd@xxxxxxxxxxx