[Bristol-Birds] Owling-John Sevier Lake

  • From: "Susan Hubley" <shubley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 20:53:47 -0500

After sending earlier post, took my nightly yard stroll. As I went out the
door, heard a barred owl calling. Then  a few minutes later, the
growling/barking calls of the Great Horned Owl protecting its nest. Spotted an
owl on tree branch overlooking lake. Size appeared right for Great Horned, but
could not make a positive identification in the dark The deep, growling/barking
calls continued for a few minutes. It appears there is a nest close by,
probably in the grove of trees in the cow pasture next door. There are several
squirrel nests and a raptor nest (probably a Red-tail) in the tree grove, and
several dead trees in the pasture pond with holes that may be large enough for
a Great Horned Owl, although they may not be high enough off the ground.
Thoughts? Nicholson atlas states nests in hollow trees 4.6-18.3m off the ground.
Sure wish you could have heard the calls, truly amazing - will keep you posted.
I'll need to climb the barbed wire fence to search for the nest!
Susan Hubley
Rogersville, Hawkins County