[Bristol-Birds] Other HWAs in Sullivan County

  • From: "Jack Litz" <wjlitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 09:44:02 -0400

I found one wooly adelgid on a large hemlock in my yard Sunday evening.  I took
it to the County Extension Agent for confirmation Monday morning.  He opened
the vial and it immediately flew out, but was recaptured on the carpet.

I am investigating application of the insecticide "Merit" into soak holes
properly spaced out to the drip line.

Anyone have experience with with such a treatment?

Although only one HWA was found,  I have noticed a number of small lichen
patches recently forming on the smaller branches of the tree and also on the
smaller branches of a large Norway Spruce.  "Spruce" is reported to be an
alternate host for the Hemlock Wooly Adelgid
(http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/O&T/trees/note119/note119.html).  I
will investigate whether these lichens are the result of a infestation that is
further along than first appears.  Lichen patches were obvious on the twigs and
small branches of some heavily infested hemlocks at the Highlands Biological
Station earlier this summer.

Jack Litz
Fordtown - Sullivan County - Tennessee