[Bristol-Birds] Re: Grayson County, VA Birding Route

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dnldhlt@xxxxxxx, RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 20:13:54 -0700 (PDT)

All,

The Hemlock Wooly Adelgid is spread all through Great Smoky Mountains
National Park now.  There is, so far, little loss of trees, but there
are lots of signs of stress and some loss.  I experienced first hand
what this beast can do when I lived in Delaware Water Gap National
Recreation Area, as well as when I visited Shenandoah National Park.
It takes a few years...

I hope that all the work being done in the park will help.  But with
precious little being done in adjoining Cherokee NF, the challenge is
great.

Charlie

--- dnldhlt@xxxxxxx wrote:

>       Ron Harrington wrote:
>

> Other Notes: Apparent herbicides sprayed near a steam on Rte 674,
> Roberts Cove Road, just pass Blue Spring Road. Numerous dead
> hemlocks were seen, especially at coordinates N 36-44-.764, W
> 081-17-.183.
>
>        Hey Ron,
>                      Were there any plants dead besides hemlocks?
> I have already seen hemlock wooly adelgids in Carter Co.TN.  Could
> that be the cause of your dead hemlocks?
>
> Don Holt
> Johnson City, TN

Charlie Muise, Naturalist in
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"To the dull mind all nature is leaden.  To the illuminated mind
the whole world sparkles with light."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson