[Bristol-Birds] Musick's Campground after 7 p.m.

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 20:55:18 -0400

Musick's Campground
South Holston Lake
Sullivan Co., TN

I arrived at 7 p.m. in an effort to determine what the heavy rainfall brought
down
in eastern Sullivan County.  Rick Knight telephoned at 6:35 p.m. to report a
good fallout in Washington Co., TN.

It was growing dark from the overcast and fading light.

No trace of a fallout at Musick's.  One Great Egret and many Canada Geese and
a few Mallards were evident.

Gil Derouen, Reece Jamerson and Bryan Stevens were ahead of me sometime
around 5 p.m. and gone in less than an hour.   Their terns, eagle and yellowlegs
had moved elsewhere.

The rainfall, which was well established in the area about 2 p.m., gained
intensity by 2:30 p.m., leaving many streets flooded in Bristol and
traffic slowed to a crawl.  It had fairly well passed in 15 to 20 minutes.

The weather service reported "heavy rain" in Abingdon, just upstream at
the head of Spring Creek which feeds the embayment at Musick's.

I stayed about 30 minutes at Musick's with no rain.  It was cool and
windy.

Let's go birding.....