[Bristol-Birds] Mendota Broad-winged Hawk count

  • From: John Whinery <fall.branch.tn.bird@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 14:31:19 -0400

Hello all

We are still trying to get as many days covered as possible at the Mendota, Va fire tower <http://www.mountainempirebirds.net/hawkcount/> during the Broad-winged Hawk migration. We have volunteers for Sunday September 13th and Wednesday September 16 through the end of the migration around October 1st but of course would appreciate helpers any time. We would like to start earlier in September but know everyone has limited time to help and are concentrating on the statistical major days until we can get additional help. This makes us realize what an incredible job Tom Hunter has done for the last several years, manning almost every day of September.

We still would like a lead counter on Saturday 9/12 and Monday 14th and Tuesday 15th. I have bought a portable weather station we can share to make on site readings each hour of the count. I'll be uploading our observations nightly to Hawkcount.org.

I will be monitoring the 2 main counting locations upstream of Mendota, Rock Fish Gap and Harvey's Knob, so if the migration is early we can adjust. If anyone is interested in the migration but isn't up to the hike to Mendota tower they should make the drive to Harvey's Knob. It is right on the Blue Ridge Parkway along a pull off at mile marker 95.3 <http://www.virtualblueridge.com/parkway-place/harveys-knob-overlook/>. Just get out of your car, open you lawn chair and watch. There are often a couple dozen or more birders there each day. Even have a Saturday morning cookout making the place a spectacular social place to bird, and overflowing the parking that day. I'm planning on going up there for a couple of days between my scheduled counting days at Mendota.

Please let me know if you can help.

--

John Whinery
Fall Branch, Tn