[Bristol-Birds] Loggerhead Shrikes, Red-headed Woodpeckers(Greene/Washington? Co.)

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:46:24 EST

D. Holt
Tuesday, Dec. 09, 2003
between Chucky and Limestone, TN
south of Davy Crockett Birthplace State Park

     I explored several roads around the Washington Co./Greene Co. line (BTW=
,=20
the Sandhill Crane was still at Keebler Rd./Smith Bridge Rd.) and had a neat=
=20
lesson in recurring patterns of bird distribution.  On Stockton Rd. I found=20=
a=20
Loggerhead Shrike on a powerline.  I remembered that the last time I saw a=20
Loggerhead Shrike on a powerline was at Green Rd. in western Greene Co. just=
 a=20
hundred yards or so before a pond next to some grazed oakwoods where a colon=
y of=20
Red-headed Woodpeckers reside.  After passing the shrike on Stockton Rd. I=20
came in the next hundred yards or so to a pond and grazed oakwoods that remi=
nded=20
me of the Green Rd. setting, and I thought of the Red-headed Woodpeckers=20
there.  Just then, a Red-headed Woodpecker appeared!  After watching awhile=20=
I=20
decided there were at least three of them at the site.  I continued my=20
explorations, quite pleased with myself.  A mile or two farther along, on Sa=
ndbar Rd., I=20
saw another Loggerhead Shrike on a powerline.  What great luck!  I don't thi=
nk=20
I had ever before found two shrikes at two locations in the same day.  After=
=20
admiring the bird I continued on and found myself in the next hundred yards=20=
or=20
so driving through a patch of grazed oakwoods with a small pond.  My mind,=20
lost in daydreams, did a doubletake, and I screeched to a stop and got out o=
f=20
the car to listen.  Sure enough, I ended up finding at least three Red-heade=
d=20
Woodpeckers at this site too.  I may be a little slow on the uptake, but I d=
o=20
learn, eventually.

     The Sandbar Road site is definitely in Greene Co. at the following=20
coordinates:
Sandbar Rd.
36=B0 12' 10"N, 82=B0 39' 56"W=20
USGS Chuckey Quad

     The coordinates of the Stockton Rd. site are:
Stockton Rd.
36=B0 10' 40"N, 82=B0 39' 04"W=20
USGS Chuckey Quad
      The Stockton Rd. site may be in either Greene or Washington Co.,=20
depending on which map you use.  Delormes Gazeteer  and the Topozone website=
=20
(http://www.topozone.com/viewmaps.asp) both show it in Greene Co.  However,=20=
the=20
"Official Map" of Greene Co., put out by The Greene County Partnership and=20
available for a couple of bucks at the Greene Co. Chamber of Commerce, shows=
 a little=20
dipsy doodle on the county line that may or may not put the site in Washingt=
on=20
Co.  If anyone knows how to settle this question accurately, please let me=20
know so I can save Rack Cross's peace of mind.  He desperately wants a=20
Washington Co. Red-headed Woodpecker in order to have a comfortable margin a=
gainst=20
error on his infamous 200+ spp. NOTE [NOrtheast TEnn. 5-county region] list.=
=20
     If anyone should try to find the sites using a Delormes Gazeteer, be=20
forewarned of the following differences in road names:
(using the format - actual roadsign name / Delormes name)
Mae McKee Rd./McKee Rd.
Stockton Rd. / no name given, a loop off of McKee Rd.
Sandbar Rd.   /  Vest Rd.
Treadway Rd.(Wash. Co. end of next) /  Old Jonesboro Rd.
Wilholt Rd. (Greene Co. end of above) /  Old Jonesboro Rd.

     *a NOTE to Rack:  If you notice that you are piling up unusually large=20
numbers of Red-headed Woodpeckers on your list, you may be lost and going in=
=20
circles.  To avoid this, hang something noticeable, like a handkerchief or G=
PS=20
unit, to a fence or bush near each sighting.  :-)

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN
and Cumberland Nature Club.