[Bristol-Birds] Laughing Gull at Musick's

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:41:18 -0400

Hi All:
I went back to Musick's Campground on South Holston Lake after lunch, arriving
at 2:09 p.m. to find a Laughing Gull standing on the upper outerbanks.  I
stayed until nearly 4:30.   Almost nothing was moving and the local waterfowl
were down and sleeping.

The barometric pressure appears to have been steady most of the day.  It began
an
hour -to- hour drop after midnight Monday bring 1.06 inches of overnight rain
to the automated remote weather station near Middlebrook Lake.  The pressure
reached a low of 29.67 as the tropical depression passed north.  The wind was
steady at about 5 mph from the north.  The air flow from the north suggests
winds blowing from the western most edge of the counter clockwise rotation of
the depression.  We appear to have  increasing pressure during the past few
hours, putting the birds to rest for the afternoon and possibly clearing many
of the migrants out.

Shortly after I arrived the Laughin Gull and Forster's Terns left the immediate
area and nothing was seen until about 4:15 p.m. when one tern was standing on a
floating marker in the mouth of the Spring Creek Embayment.

Daylight Wednesday should bring more clearing and a reduced opportunity for
hurricane influenced strays.  Holston Mountain has been mostly hidden by heavy
and low cloud cover throughout most of the today.  Shady Valley had 1.41 inches
or rain, slightly more than in Sullivan County.

Let's go birding.....