[Bristol-Birds] John Sevier Lake/Fossil Fuel Plant

  • From: "Susan Hubley" <shubley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 17:57:38 -0500

Weekend highlights:

1-5-08 -John Sevier Lake
Northern Shoveler - 7
Green-winged Teal - 4
Eastern Screech Owl - 1

1-5-08 Sevier Fossil Fuel Plant 3 -4 p.m.
Black-crowned Night Heron - 2 first year birds
Great Blue Heron - 6
Gadwall - 24
Hooded Merganser - 2
Ring-necked Duck - 21
Red-tailed Hawk- 1
Black Vulture - 3

1-6-08 John Sevier Lake
Ring-billed Gull 200+
Northern Shoveler - 9
Blue-winged Teal - 6
BALD EAGLE - 2 adults
-As we were watching football, we noticed all the gulls rise from the lake en
masse. Out to the porch we go and find 2 adult Bald Eagles perched on snags. A
boat came by and the eagles headed for the mountain. A while later, they
reappeared and one captured a Ring-billed Gull, few a few yards with it, and
dropped it. The eagle again captured the same gull, few a few yards, and
dropped it again. Both eagles perched on a snag near the injured gull and
remained for almost a half hour. The Bald Eagles flew downstream, and left the
gull to die. All the while, the Belted Kingsfishers chattered away as they
watched the show.

Susan Hubley
Rogersville, Hawkins County