[Bristol-Birds] :Herndon Bird Club Field Trip Report

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 17:09:55 -0500

Thirteen birders met this morning at the Weir Dam parking lot for a field trip
of Sullivan County waterfowl areas..  The first birders to arrive were met with
cold weather and enough fog on the river to prevent us from seeing any ducks.
We birded around Osceola Island, the day warmed up, the fog lifted, and we had
a great birding day.  Approximate lists of species seen at the main spots are:

Weir Dam/Osceola Island
Mallard                   20+
Green-winged Teal    1
Wigeon                     3
Black Duck               2
Bufflehead             ~150
Pied-billed Grebe
Great Blue Heron      2
Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Hairy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Blue Jay
Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Wren
Winter Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Eastern Bluebird
Hermit Thrush
Starling
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Cardinal
Goldfinch

South Holston Lake
Common Loon           4
Bald Eagle                 2  (mat.)
Red-tailed Hawk
Rock Pigeon
Dark-eyed Junco

Middlebrook Lake
Canada Geese
Mallards
Wood Duck
Hooded Merganser              21
D. C. Cormorant                    3
Pied-billed Grebe
Coot
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Black Vulture

Musick's Campground
Common Loon                       1
Eared Grebe                           1
Horned Grebe                        10
Pied-billed Grebe                   12
Surf Scoter                              2
Lesser Scaup                           1
Great Blue Heron                     2
Bonaparte's Gull                       4
Red-tailed Hawk
Turkey Vulture
Crow
Am. Pipit
Horned Lark

Hwy 44
Kestrel

Total of 47 species.

Participants were:  Rick Knight, Jacki Hinshaw, Don Holt, Jim D. Anderson,
Charles Moore, Brookie and Jean Potter, Michele Sparks, Mike Sanders, Darla
Anderson, Wallace and Carolyn Coffey, Roy Knispel

Thanks to Rick Knight for leading the trip.

Roy Knispel
Lee & Lois Herndon Chapter, TOS
Phone:  423-202-7802