[Bristol-Birds] Herndon Bird Club Field Trip Report

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 23:23:53 -0500

Herndon Bird Club members Brookie Potter, Joe McGuiness, Kim Stroud, Charles
Moore, Jim D. Anderson, Lois Cox, Wilma Boy, and Roy Knispel, together with
John Moyle of Kingsport and Virginia guests Hutch from Lebanon and Vicki from
Saltville began the field trip Saturday, January 12, about 8 a.m. at the Weir
Dam.  We did a loop around Osceola Island, then moved up to the Holston Dam
Overlook.  Next stop was Paddle Creek.  We met Wallace and Carolyn Coffey at
Middlebrook Lake.  Michele Sparks joined us at lunch and we finished the trip
at around 5 p.m. at Musick's Campground.  We found the following 50 species:
Canada Goose
Black Duck
Mallard
Gadwall
Wigeon
Redhead
Lesser Scaup
Ring-necked Duck
Bufflehead
Ruddy Duck
Hooded Merganser
Common Loon
Horned Grebe
Pied-billed Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Coot
Wild Turkey
Black Vulture
Bald Eagle
Red-tailed Hawk
Killdeer
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Ring-billed Gull
Kingfisher
Downy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Pileated Woodpecker
Phoebe
Am. Kestrel
Merlin
Loggerhead Shrike  (on Pemberton Rd. between the Weir Dam and Musick's
Campground)
Blue Jay
Crow
Carolina Chickadee