[Bristol-Birds] Great Horned Owl, Johnson City

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 13:27:38 -0400

This morning about 8 a.m. a dozen crows were harassing a Great Horned Owl in my
neighborhood.  The owl moved from tall tree to tall tree in the area
"southwest" of Iris between Shady Lane and Forest Avenue.  This is just west
across Oakland from the Girl Scout Camp Wildwood.

I have regularly seen and heard crows harassing something around daybreak in
the neighborhood for the past few weeks, and heard a Great Horned Owl in early
mornings and evenings off and on throughout the winter, but I hadn't seen the
owl until this morning.

A pair of Red-tailed Hawks have been around this neighborhood and in the
vicinity of Fairmont Elementary School, and they also have been harassed by
crows here.

Roy Knispel
Johnson City, TN Washington County