[Bristol-Birds] Loggerhead Shrike, Wood Duck

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, virginia birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 18:38:27 -0700 (PDT)

Today, 3/15, I decided to get out in the rain and do a little birding after
lunch. The weather actually wasn't as bad as it was forecast. I went to Elk
Garden and Clifton Farms(Russell County) and The Cove (Tazewell County). The
highlights of the day included 3 Loggerhead Shrikes (2 Clifton Farms, 1 Elk
Garden); 10 Wood Ducks scattered through all 3 locations; 2 Wilson Snipes at
Clifton and a brief glimpse of a Golden Eagle at Elk Garden. I have included
some photos of some of the birds seen today at the link below.
I have also included on Pbase photos of a Whitetail Deer and a Wild Turkey. I
took these photos on 3-11. I was driving along Reynolds Road in Russell County
when the deer burst out of the bushes and just missed becoming a hood ornament
on my truck. It stopped on the bank above the road and looked back at me as if
to say "why don't you quit birdwatching and watch the road." After I got my
heart started again I took some photos of the deer before it pranced on into
the woods. As I started to put the truck back in gear, I looked in front of me
and the Wild Turkey was standing so close to the truck all I could see was his
head. Eventually he sauntered off and allowed me to be on my way.

http://www.pbase.com/opiehunter/cove__clifton_farms

Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club
Lebanon, VA