[Bristol-Birds] Great Blue Herons on Butcher Fork

  • From: Bill Cawood <b_cawood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx, Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 17:51:52 -0800 (PST)

I have seen some traffic on the BBC about GBH.  I have been monitoring a colony
near Big Stone Gap on Butcher's Fork.  The rookery is composed of two groups of
nests a few dozen meters apart situated in a stand of tall trees (mostly yellow
poplar) on a dry ridge above the small feeder stream to the South Fork Powell
River.
I saw some activity on February 25.  This is in line with the last 4 years of
monitoring.  I had thought that the Eastern set of nests were defunct but I
observed 4-8 birds standing on the nests in that section (the older section).
3 years ago I saw 17 birds flying in a unique formation along the broad bottom
below the rookery.  A most inspiring and awesome sight.

On Saturday, March 4 I oberved 3 black vultutres feeding on a carcass beside
rte 58.  I approached within a few meters as the birds fed beside the roaring
traffic.  The ignored me.  This is the closest I have ever observed black
vultures.
I also saw 3 red tail hawks.  One was being mobbed by crows and jays.  I have
never seen such cooperative behavior between corvids..
Today I saw 3 turkey vultures soaring over my yard.

Bill Cawood, Big Stone Gap, VA